Homemade Pop Tarts are a delightful and customizable treat that you can make from scratch in the comfort of your own kitchen. These toaster pastries are made with a buttery, flaky pastry crust and filled with your choice of delicious fillings. Here’s a simple recipe for homemade Pop Tarts:
Homemade Pop Tarts Recipe: Delicious and Easy-to-Make Treat
Try our homemade Pop Tarts recipe for a mouthwatering and customizable alternative to store-bought options. Follow our step-by-step instructions and enjoy the freshest toaster pastries filled with your favorite flavors.
Is consuming pop tarts considered a healthy choice?
Traditional pop tarts are typically made using white flour, various sugars, and different types of fats. However, they are not the healthiest breakfast option due to their high carbohydrate, sugar, and saturated fat content.
On the other hand, my homemade version of pop tarts is a bit different. I don’t use white flour and instead incorporate added protein by using Greek yogurt. Additionally, I have the flexibility to make them without any sugar if desired.
While my homemade pop tarts may not exactly replicate the flaky and cookie-like texture of traditional ones, they do have a soft and chewy consistency. They still offer a delightful combination of sweetness from the berry filling and the vanilla icing on the outside.
The taste of my pop tarts is sweet, and the berry filling provides a rich burst of flavor. The vanilla icing adds an extra layer of deliciousness to the overall experience.
How to make poptarts?
- The 2-ingredient dough recipe relies on a combination of yogurt and self-rising flour to create the pastry coating.
- You can choose a granulated sweetener of your preference, such as white sugar or monk fruit sweetener (for a sugar-free option). Other sweeteners like brown sugar, Nutella or coconut palm sugar can also be used, but they may result in a darker exterior for the pastries.
- The filling for these pastries can be any jam or jelly of your liking. In this case, strawberry preserve with no added sugar was used.
- For the glaze, powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar) is typically used. However, you can make a homemade sugar version if desired.
- Adding a small amount of vanilla extract to the frosting enhances the vanilla flavor.
- Before baking, the outsides of the pastries can be brushed with a milk of your choice, such as soy milk.
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk (or more as needed)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Step 1- To prepare the dough :
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your flour, sweetener, and yogurt.
- Mix the ingredients well until they are thoroughly combined.
- Once the mixture is combined, use your hands to knead the dough until it forms a thick and smooth ball.
Step 2- To roll out and cut the dough :
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of flour on top of your dough ball.
- Generously flour a clean kitchen surface.
- Transfer the dough ball onto the floured surface and knead it several times.
- If you have a rolling pin, use it to roll out the dough into a rectangular shape. Alternatively, you can use your hands to flatten and shape the dough.
- Continue rolling out the dough until it reaches approximately 12 inches in length and 6 inches in height.
- Take a long knife or a pizza cutter and cut the dough down the middle lengthwise (along the long side).
- Then, make seven cuts across the other side of the dough, forming 16 uniform rectangles.
Step 3- To form the pop tarts:
- Preheat your oven and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take 8 of the dough rectangles and place them onto the lined tray, ensuring they are evenly spaced.
- Spoon approximately a tablespoon of jam onto the center of each dough rectangle. Work quickly to ensure the jam is evenly distributed.
- Take the remaining 8 dough rectangles and place them on top of the ones with jam, creating a sandwich-like structure.
- Use a fork to press down around the edges of each pop tart, sealing the dough and jam together to form a single pastry. This will create a decorative pattern along the edges.
- Brush the tops of each pop tart with milk, which will give them a golden finish when baked.
Step 4- To bake and glaze the pop tarts :
- Preheat your oven to the recommended temperature.
- Place the prepared pop tarts in the oven and bake them for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until the tops turn golden brown.
- Once baked, remove the pop tarts from the oven and allow them to cool completely before proceeding to the glazing step.
- Once the pop tarts have cooled, you can proceed to frost them with your desired glaze or icing.
Enjoy your homemade Pop Tarts for breakfast, a snack, or a sweet treat any time of the day. These delicious pastries can be stored in an airtight container for a few days. Simply toast them in a toaster oven or pop them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up before serving. Get creative with different fillings and have fun customizing your homemade Pop Tarts!
For more delicious recipes check out our homemade pop tarts with puff pastry